Due to strong demand, we have filled our Fall 2022 and Spring 2023 Paramedic Exploration Program rosters. We anticipate running another cohort of the program in Fall 2023, and will open registration in August.
The SCCAD Paramedic Exploration Academy is an immersive experience intended to provide high school students considering a career in healthcare or as a first responder an opportunity to learn more about a career in emergency medical services and mobile healthcare.
Throughout the five-week program, attendees will meet and interact with a wide array of individuals from the SCCAD leadership team, and will cover topics ranging from Critical Care to Tactical EMS to Urban Search & Rescue. Whenever possible, the aim of the Paramedic Exploration Academy is to show rather than tell; meaning there will be an array of interactive learning opportunities. Planned hands-on activities include:
- Intravenous Access
- Airway Management
- Cardio-Cerebral Resuscitation
- Narcan Administration
- Urban Search & Rescue Equipment Demo
- Tactical EMS Equipment Demo
Because space in the Exploration program is limited, a selective application process is in place utilizing the following criteria:
- Course is limited to individuals in grades 9-12, with priority given to older students who are closer to making a decision regarding post-secondary education.
- Priority placement given to students who reside within St. Charles County.
Barring unforeseen circumstances, students are expected to attend all five program sessions. A $25 course fee applies for those accepted, and covers a SCCAD Paramedic Exploration Academy shirt.